Thursday 26 April 2012

Here and Now

It has taken a while to write.
My surgery date was March 20th and initially it appeared all was going 'well'. I woke from the anaesthetic with absolute numbness on the left side of my face. To start with I did think I'd had a stroke. When I told the staff they said it can happen after an MVD but that it should improve in 'time'. I have come to realise that 'time' is non-specific in a surgical world. Someone told me 6 weeks, another told me 6-12 weeks and someone else told me it could take months, in fact, up to 18 months for the numbness to subside. Of course there is also the possibility that this numbness will never go and that the nerve is damaged, but I truly can't afford to think like that. 

I've decided to try and not look at time scales and look at my recovery as my own personal journey. And what a journey it has been.

No comments:

Post a Comment